As Christmas is approaching I love to share festive recipes that nourish but still taste like comfort food. This Roasted Red Pepper Soup is so flavourful and creamy, and loaded with plant-based protein. You can stick with your health goals over the holidays by finding recipes you enjoy and still fuel your body. You really can have your cake and eat it too, it just takes a little effort and planning.
How this soup nourishes:
Red peppers are loaded with vitamin C, this helps to support your bodies immune system. Red peppers are also a great source of vitamin A, fibre and antioxidants. By roasting your own red peppers you add so much more flavour to this dish, if you are running short on time you can buy a jar or two of roasted red peppers to save time. I do highly recommend roasting them yourself because it adds a lot of really great flavour.
Meal prep this soup this Sunday for a week of healthy lunches or serve it up as a plant-based dinner for the family.
White kidney beans are an excellent plant-based protein source and they add a creamy texture to this soup. They are also a nutrition powerhouse because they are packed with fibre, iron, potassium, zinc, folate, and magnesium. One cup of beans contains 17 grams of protein and 11 grams of fibre. You get even more fibre from the red peppers and cauliflower. Each day your fibre goal is: 25-38 grams per day (for women and men respectively).
Fibre helps to improve transit time, improves better bowel movements, can lower cholesterol levels, helps contain blood sugar levels, helps to feed good gut bacteria (this supports good gut health), and can help with weight loss because you feel fuller longer especially when combined with adequate protein and healthy fats.
This Recipe is:
- Loaded with Fibre
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
5 red bell peppers, cut in half
1/2 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 can (16 oz.) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
5-6 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
garnish – cilantro and hemp hearts
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Cut red pepper in half, remove seeds and coat in oil and place open side down on tray.
2. Bake 30 minutes, flip and bake another 30 minutes. In a large pot over medium heat oil add onions, garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add in cauliflower and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.
3. Add white kidney beans (drained and rinsed), vegetable broth and nutritional yeast and simmer on low for 15 minutes until cauliflower is cooked and fork tender.
4. When peppers are cooked place them in the pot with cauliflower and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, blend until smooth.
5. Serve warm option to top with fresh cilantro and hemp hearts.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below, or be sure to tag me in your pics or DM over on the socials @pam_rocca.
As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.