Omg this recipe is delicious and easy peasy! This Buffalo Tofu Nugget Recipe is your new favourite fun appetizer or plant-based main, I promise they won’t disappoint.
This recipe is easier than cauliflower wings and tofu contains a lot more protein than cauliflower making it a win-win for a healthy alternative. Tofu is high in protein and contains all of the 9 essential amino acids that your body needs. It also contains some fat and carbs, vitamins and minerals like manganese, calcium, selenium, copper magnesium, iron and a bit of zinc. It is lower in calories and it tastes on the flavour of what you marinate it with so it’s great for weight-loss and adding protein to a plant-based or vegan lifestyle.
Try this recipe as an app, plant-based main, or in a wrap or lettuce wrap!
Why Freeze You Ask? Great Question:
Freezing tofu changes the texture. it makes it chewier, spongier, more porous, and firmer. It soaks up sauces and marinades easier and it way easier to press. Often I am so lazy that I skip pressing frozen tofu. It’s like all the water kind of goes away so you can press with your hands briefly and all the excess water is gone. It has a more “meat” like texture and can extend the shelf-life of your tofu if you like to buy in bulk. Warning it might look a little yellow which can freak you out but it tastes so good with the right marinade or sauce so get creative. If you are not a fan of spice or buffalo sauce you can add a favourite BBQ sauce or leave them dry and dip in a ranch or dill dressing.
This Recipe is:
- plant-based (vegan)
- gluten-free (if you use gluten-free bread crumbs)
- great source of plant-based protein
- the leftovers are amazing
Buffalo Tofu Nuggets
Makes: 12-14 nuggets
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 package tofu, freeze overnight
¾ cup tapioca starch
1 cup original unsweetened almond milk (or any dairy-free milk)
½ cup crushed corn flake crumbs
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic power
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1-2 cups franks buffalo sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Thaw tofu in the microwave for 8-10 minutes until no longer frozen. Let the tofu cool so it’s easier to handle.
- Cut tofu into nuggets or strips.
- In one medium bowl add ¾ cup tapioca flour (or starch), in a second medium sized bowl add 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk, in a third medium sized bowl add crushed corn flake crumbs, bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder salt and pepper.
- Dip tofu nugget into tapioca flour, then dunk into almond milk, next dip into corn flake and bread crumb mixture then place on prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for 15 minutes.
- Place franks in a medium size bowl and dip each strip in the sauce and enjoy.
Recipe note – you can spice these up any way you like add in some garlic and parmesan to the bread crumb mixture if you are not a fan of spice. Add in some nutritional yeast for a cheesy nugget for the kids.
Freezing tofu changes the texture making it more “meat” like and chewy for the perfect strip or nugget.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below or be sure to tag me in your creations over on the social’s @pam_roccca. I love seeing what you are making and enjoying.
As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Happy Meal Prep Sunday,