If you love warm comfort food but still want to eat healthy this is just the recipe for you. Warm baked mushrooms topped with a vegan basil cashew cheese and marinara sauce is like a party in your mouth. It is also nutritious, plant-based, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Portobello Mushrooms provide a health plant-based protein source, they make it easy to wean out unhealthier foods like processed red meat, and in this recipe gluten and high carb and calorie noodles. I am not at all saying one food is good or bad, for our family it’s about eating in a way that makes you feel really good. My husbands body doesn’t agree well with gluten, and my body does better on carbs that comes from vegetables so we choose this recipe because it makes us feel our best.
On top of tasting fantastic portobello mushrooms also have so many health benefits such as:
- contain many essential vitamins and minerals like selenium and B vitamins (B2 & 3)
- loaded with antioxidants and phytonutrients
- immunity boosting properties
- natural cancer fighters
- naturally low in calories and carbs
- contains fibre
- great substitute for meat (portobello fajitas, grilled portobello steaks, portobello burgers)
If you are not a fan of portobello mushrooms you can make this into an Eggplant or Zucchini Noodle Lasagna instead.
The Basil Cashew Cheese in this recipe can work as a natural dairy-free cheese sauce that can be added into recipes or is delicious on it’s own with raw veggies.
Here is your new favourite comfort food recipe, dig in!
VEGAN LASAGNA STUFFED PORTOBELLOS
Makes: 5-6 portobellos
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 – 6 portobello mushrooms
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cup chopped spinach
½ cup chopped basil
1 jar marinara sauce (or see my homemade marinara sauce blog post)
Vegan Cheese Sauce
1 & ½ cups cashews (soaked overnight)
½ -1 cup unsweetened original almond milk (start with ½ and can gradually add for desired thickness)
¼ cup fresh basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
dash of salt and pepper
1.Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Wash mushrooms, remove steam and scoop out the gills.
3. Brush tops and insides of mushrooms with olive oil.
4. Line bottom of large casserole dish with marinara to cover the bottom, place mushrooms in the casserole dish.
5. Spoon ¼ cup of marinara sauce into each mushroom.
6. Make vegan cheese sauce in small blender or food processor add all ingredients and pulse until well combined. Mixture should be thick.
7. Fill each mushroom with vegan cheese sauce, chopped spinach and basil. Option to top with nutritional yeast or more marinara sauce.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are baked through.
Recipe note – if you want to make this nut free you can substitute for a ricotta cheese, or homemade hummus and tofu ricotta.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below or tag me in your creations over on the socials @pam_rocca.
As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Happy Meal Prep Sunday,