As a mom of 3 packing lunches can sometimes feel like a daunting task. The balance between packing something healthy, convenient, while ensuring the kids will actually eat it can seem impossible. That was one of the reasons I wanted to create this school-safe bar recipe.
My daughter told me the other day that she got teased at school because she didn’t have any treats or fun stuff in her lunch. So I took this challenge on to make a fun, healthy treat for their lunches. If you follow my stories on Instagram @Pam_rocca you will see it took me a few tries to perfect this recipe. I am really proud with how it turned out and even more stoked that my kids LOVE these bars. A huge bonus is that my husband and I enjoy them for breakfast bars so even if you don’t have kids I know you will appreciate this recipe.
These bars contain 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds, that means 10 grams of protein, a great source of manganese, magnesium, healthy omega 3 & 6 fatty acids. They also have ground flaxseed, which are high in: potassium, fibre, complete protein and omegas. There are many other great nutrients in this bar but my goal isn’t to geek out on why I put certain foods in each recipe but to provide a bit of education. I believe this empowers you to make great choices when you cook and shop.
Hemp seeds and flax seeds are pantry staples in our home as well as all the other ingredients on this list. A well-stocked pantry will ensure you always have the ingredients on hand to whip up awesome food.
Hemp Seed Granola Bars
Makes: 8-10 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup oats flour (can sub for almond flour)
½ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup vanilla protein powder (can sub for more ground flax)
¼ cup ground flax
¼ cup liquid coconut oil
¼ cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons sun butter
¼-1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line 8 x 8 inch casserole dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add oats, hemp seeds, vanilla protein powder, ground flax, chocolate chips and mix. Add wet ingredients liquid coconut oil, brown rice syrup and sun butter and mix well with spatula or hands.
- Press mixture into casserole dish and ensure it is flattened evenly across the pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting. Cut into 8 or 10 rectangular shaped bars.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below or tag me in your creations over on Instagram @pam_rocca.
As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.