Teriyaki Chicken is a really simple chicken recipe that is cooked in 10 minutes. This recipe is a variation from my plant-based Teriyaki Chickpea Bowl, I always share modifications so that you can choose the recipe that works best for you and your nutritional preferences. Both recipes are Fast. Simple. Healthy. Delicious.
It’s no secret that Teriyaki is a popular sauce but a lot of traditional versions contain a lot of sugar. This recipe uses less sugar and adds sesame oil and rice vinegar for even more flavour. In this recipe I used coconut sugar, if you don’t have coconut sugar you can substitute for brown sugar.
You might be asking what’s the difference between coconut and brown sugar? The biggest difference is how and what they are made of, coconut sugar is made from the nectar of coconut palm tree flowers, and brown sugar is made from cane sugar, just like white sugar. At the end of the day, coconut sugar is still sugar and should not be over consumed. This dish only 2 tablespoons are used for the entire recipe. Sometimes I substitute coconut sugar for pineapple juice for a different flavour and natural sugars.
This meal is perfect for those nights when you lack time to get a healthy meal on the table, it comes together so quickly that having no time to cook is no longer an excuse. Meal planning and preparing can also help with staying organized during busy weeks. Sit down and look at your week to see what meals you want to make, create your list and your grocery list. This ensures you come home with ingredients that make delicious meals, this is an investment in your healthy eating goals and helps to simplify your week.
Enjoy this gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, healthy recipe.
Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
Makes: 4-5 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (or 4 boneless skinless chicken breast) cubed
½ yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups broccoli, chopped
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/3 cups + 2 Tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
½ tablespoon rice vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1-3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Cooked rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa
1. Cut chicken into bite sized cubes and set aside. Prepare vegetables cut broccoli into small florets and peppers into cubes.
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat add avocado oil, garlic and onion sauté for 1-2 minutes then add chicken and cook until cooked though.
3. Meanwhile make sauce in a small bowl by adding tamari (or soy sauce) coconut sugar, sesame oil, rice vinegar and cornstarch. Stir well to combine.
4. Once chicken is cooked through add broccoli and peppers and cook 3-5 minutes until soften.
5. Add in sauce and cook another 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens up and all chicken and vegetables are well coated.
6. Serve in bowl with rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa and garnish with sesame seeds and microgreens.
Thanks so much for being here and for your continued support visiting the website, making the recipes and being apart of this wonderful Community. I am really grateful.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below. As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Happy Meal Prep Sunday,