This past week I was feeling really creative in the kitchen and I took one of the recipes from my new cookbook – The Peanut Slaw Bowl and put a spin on it to turn it into dinner. This Chickpea Taco Recipe was the outcome and I couldn’t be more pleased with how easy and delicious they turned out. Honestly dinner is ready in under 20 minutes and it can be a hit with the whole family.
I do mine in lettuce wraps which makes it gluten-free and lower in calories which suits my nutritional needs (as I am currently running a 30-day clean eating challenge if you want to join the fun click here https://pamrocca.com/custom-meal-plans) and my family enjoys their tacos in whole wheat wraps with no cilantro and their favourite toppings. It’s all about making one dish that can work for everyone because it’s easy to customize for each person.
This recipe shows that you can eat clean and your food can and should be so flavourful, I would never post something that was bland or boring. That’s just not me. I want everyone to get excited to eat more veggies, to think twice about what you are putting in your bodies and make it so simple so there are no excuses to not eat healthier. Because honestly you guys, what you eat affects how you feel each and every day…and I want you feel fantastic!
Now let’s jump into this recipe as it is:
- plant-based (vegan)
- simple and easy to make
Peanut Chickpea Tacos in a Lettuce Wrap
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 cups cooked chickpea (or 1 can of chickpeas)
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 yellow onion, diced
1 cup chopped red cabbage
2 carrots, peeled & shredded
¼ cup chopped peanuts
fresh cilantro & fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
3/4 cup water, plus extra as needed
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
1. In a large frying heat over medium heat add avocado oil, garlic, onion and sauté 1-2 minutes. Then add chickpeas.
2. Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat make the peanut sauce. Add avocado oil, garlic and ginger into pot and sauté for 1 minute. Add in remaining ingredients and cook 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens.
3. Peel and shred carrots, finely chop red cabbage and add to chickpeas – cook 1-2 minutes
4. Next add ½- ¾ of the peanut sauce over chickpea and veggie mixture. Stir to coat chickpeas cook 1 more minute and remove from heat.
5. Assemble tacos by placing chickpea peanut mixture into lettuce wraps. Garnish with favourite toppings such as chopped peanuts, fresh cilantro and a little lime juice.
Recipe Note – If chickpeas are not your favourite you could make this dish with cubed cooked chicken breast or thighs.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below. As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Thanks so much for being here, visiting the website, making the recipes and being a part of this amazing community. I appreciate your support so much!
Happy Meal Prep Sunday,