As a mom one of the biggest struggles during the school year is keeping lunch packing fun and fresh. I use to struggle hard with wondering what the heck to pack in my kids lunches. My goal this year was to avoid packaged snacks and lunch options to not only know what is in their food but to also help with environmental waste. In turn this has allowed me to save money on our groceries as well. A lot of the processed snacks can add up!
We buy bananas every week and if we ever have any really ripe ones left that always equals fresh muffins. We try to avoid food waste by using up what we can. So a few weeks ago I had some really ripe bananas and created this awesome recipe for school lunches and an after school snack. They were such a hit with the neighbourhood kids that they disappeared right away. In that moment I knew I had to share this recipe with all of you. I know it’s May and we are nearing the end of the school year and this is usually when our lunch creativity is at it’s lowest, so hopefully this recipe helps you out moms.
If you are not a mom and pack lunches for kids I am happy to say these are great snacks for adults too!
This recipe is:
- simple & delicious
HEALTHY DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
2 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups oats, blend into oat flour
¼ cup chocolate protein powder
¼ cup cacao powder
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼-1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin tray with reusable muffin liners.
2. Peel bananas and place in medium sized bowl, and mash with a fork until smooth. Add in applesauce, egg, and vanilla and stir to combine.
3. In a small blender, blend oats into oat flour and place in another medium sized bowl. Add in chocolate protein powder, cacao powder, ground flaxseed and baking powder and stir to combine.
4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until incorporated.
5. Fill Muffins liners ½ to ¾ full.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked though.
7. Allow muffins to cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below. As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Happy Snack Prep Sunday,