At a few of my recent talks in the community a lot of people have been inquiring about Jackfruit, so I wanted to post one of my favourite recipes. Jackfruit is popular among the vegan and plant-based communities as it has a “meat-like” or chewy texture when cooked. It is also packed with nutrients including fibre, manganese, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C and antioxidants.
As amazing as Jackfruit is, the one downside is that it does not have a lot of protein so be sure to include more protein in your day or serve topped with a protein source. An easy way to add more protein would be to top with shelled hemp seeds or add in lentils or walnuts into tacos. You can also pair with a black bean salsa the idea is to make this recipe work for you.
Enjoy your tacos on regular wraps or lettuce boats and get creative with your toppings. It also pairs well with vegan sour cream you can grab more recipes like this in my Plant-Based Cookbook grab your copy here: https://www.amazon.ca/Prep-Pam-Plant-Based-Foods-Taste/dp/1989304028
This recipe is:
- gluten-free if you serve on lettuce wraps
- easy to make – can be whipped up in 15 minutes!
Enjoy this recipe today, add it to your meal prep routine for quick and easy lunches. This jackfruit mixture can also be tossed on salads or in your favourite bowl with roasted vegetables.
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 cans jackfruit, drained, rinsed and chopped
1 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
¼ yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed)
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons chipotle BBQ sauce
½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
Tacos or lettuce wraps and desired taco fillings
- avocado, red onion, cilantro, purple cabbage, corn, diced red peppers
Note – I love to serve mine in lettuce boats and top with lots of veg and hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)
- To chop jackfruit – cut off core (harder tip on jackfruit), next cut jackfruit into thin slices form core to outer edge to break it up into a shredded texture.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in onions an garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until the onions have softened. Add in chopped jackfruit and remaining ingredients. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, if seems to wet simmer a little longer, if too dry add a splash of water.
If you make this recipe I would love to hear what you think in the comments below or be sure to tag us in your pics over on the gram @pam_rocca.
As always sharing is caring, if you know someone who would love this recipe I would so appreciate you sharing it with them.
Happy Meal Prep Sunday,